The Kraken Cup has evolved into a head to head race and gets more and more competitive with each edition. It's a massive adventure and safety always comes before winning but such is the way with the world we've had to introduce a penalty system to keep those of you who like to bend the rules on your toes.
The aim of the penalty system is not to punish the teams for the amusement of the Race Team, it's designed to make the race a level playing field. The exact penalty system will be confirmed in your pre-race briefing but this is a good guide based on previous races:
- Technical assistance from the Race HQ boats will give you a time penalty of a minimum of 1 hour.
- Crews sailing after the daily racecourse closing time will receive a time penalty. Sailing well beyond the closing time between 8 and 10pm will incur at least a 5-hour penalty. Sailing after 10pm doesn't get you a penalty, you'll sadly have to be disqualified from the race.
- Sailing before the official racecourse opening time will incur a time penalty.
- Not adhering to tracking and messaging protocols will attract time penalties and disqualification if repeatedly disregarded.
- You will be allowed to submit an appeal to certain penalties and the system for this will be included in your pre-race training theory class.
- Whingers will be forced to buy a penalty round of beers at the finish line party.