Each team needs to bring:
- A handheld compass
- A GPS device for navigation
- Team flag or banner for identifying your boat
Every sailor needs to bring:
- A mobile phone to use a local sim card -an old Nokia will do the job
- A local SIM card - bought in Tanzania
- A battery pack for charging the tracking device - USB compatible & minimum 15000 mAh
- A waterproof case/bag for electronics
- A certified life jacket / buoyancy aid*
- Insurance details
Sim cards for mobile phone
Where: at the airport there are vendors that will set the whole thing up for you
What to buy: a data plan for 1 month, airtime in addition, costing 30,000 TZS.
Buy a spare voucher for emergencies, costing 5000 TZS.
You can only get a SIM at the airport, so you must get yours when you land.
*Life jackets (or Personal Flotation Device - PFD) must be ISO-12402 rated.